|McInnis, new EST|
In accordance with the Constitution of the United Brotherhood of Carpenters and Joiner of America, and the special circumstances involved regarding the EST position being vacant due to the April 29 veto of Michael Bilello, Mr. McInnis applied for and received special dispensation from General President McCarron.
McCarron granted dispensation as follows: McInnis "may maintain his position as President of the Council, while also holding the position of Council EST," until such time as a qualified member is elected as EST to fill the unexpired term.
In response to an email for comment, Review Officer (RO) Dennis Walsh stated, he "did not pose an objection, because of the unprecedented multi-point compliance commitment" made and signed by Mr. McInnis on May 5, 2013.
The statement includes:
1. Executive Secretary-Treasurer, Pro Tem, (“EST PT”) will broadly publicize and hold a “Town Hall” for all members not less than every thirty (30) days in which he will answer all questions posed to him to the best of his ability and in a temperate manner. Each Town Hall shall be recorded for posting on the District Council web site and run for at least two hours or until all questions have been addressed. Each such Town Hall will be observed by the Review Officer;
2. EST PT will submit timely, detailed Review Officer Time and Task Records (“time sheets”);
3. EST PT will give streamlined reports at Executive Committee and Delegate Body meetings and deliver via confidential email all official correspondence and material business documents for consideration to all Executive Committee Members and Delegates for their perusal and consideration no later 72 hours before such meetings and will only read such documents when expressly requested to by the Executive Committee or the Delegates; he will further answer any and all questions about his reports to the best of his ability and in a temperate manner; he will consult with the President, Vice President, Director of Operations and Director of Organizing of the District Council to determine which matters material to the business of the District Council and the rights of its members should be addressed in each such report; he will “review,” rather than “read,” the minutes of Benefit Funds meetings as required by the Bylaws, and explain key points and issues as may be prudent; this provision shall be implemented no later than May 22, 2013;
4. EST PT will study and comply with all provisions of the District Council Bylaws and consult with District Council counsel, District Council Compliance officials, the District Council Inspector General and the District Council Director of Operations before engaging in any undertaking which might constitute a material violation of said Bylaws;
5. EST PT will take personal responsibility for preparing by July l, 2013, a detailed curriculum for business representative cross training, present said curriculum to Review Officer for review by said date and shall insure that classes for such training begin within thirty days of completion of said review;
6. EST PT will confer in person, individually and collectively, as often as prudence requires with the Director of Operations, Chief Compliance Officer and Inspector General (but no less than once per week as a group) about the business and compliance initiatives of the District Council, and unconditionally support their proper undertakings or promptly report his disagreement with any of said undertakings to the Review Officer;
7. EST PT will confer in person at least every two weeks with a subcommittee of six District Council delegates elected by the Delegate Body to discuss issues of concern brought to the attention of said subcommittee, should it be created by the Delegate Body; the EST PT will notify the Delegate Body of this provision at the delegate meeting held on May 8, 2013;
8. EST PT will promptly but no later than June 1, 2013, establish procedures and protocols for his as well as other officers and management employees of the District Council receiving and responding to member telephone calls and email messages which insure timely and responsive communication as a matter of record;
9. EST PT will at no time assert or attempt to assert authority not expressly granted to him by the District Council Bylaws;
10. EST PT will use his best efforts (reporting on said efforts to this office) to insure that the Executive Committee implements a member comment section on the District Council web site which provides for members the opportunity to express their good faith, on-the-record and non-defamatory opinions about matters relevant to the affairs of the District Council; the comment section should be implemented by June 1, 2013.
11. EST PT acknowledges hereby that the goals of the Consent Decree and the Stipulation and Order require that he, and all officers and employees of the District Council must vigorously and actively support the compliance and ethics program of the District Council at all times and in all communications and affirms this commitment to compliance by promulgating a weekly compliance message via the District Council web site;
12. EST PT acknowledges that if the Review Officer determines that the EST PT has breached this Commitment of Service that said breach would constitute a violation of Paragraphs 5 and 7 of the Stipulation and Order.