Clearly, Unity Team union officers, motivated by greed, conducted the affairs of the council like a self-serving out of control criminal enterprise, that was both detrimental to the welfare and best interest of the district council and its members.
With the arrest of Mike Forde and revelations at the UBC Hearings of:
- Drug use
- Prostitution (see page 505)
- Hiding illegal weapons and drugs on our property
- Employees removing hair from their bodies in order to avoid detection of drug use
- Financial Mismanagement
- Cash Flow Mismanagement, costing $300 to $500 thousand per year in lost interest (see page 5)
- Trustees not adequately performing their duties
- Losing control over the management of employee spending
- Employees with serious driving offense are provided union cars and expense reimbursements
- Flawed systems of accountability in place (see page 93)
Since becoming Supervisor, Frank Spencer has undertaken "several measures" in an attempt to correct the problems plaguing the district council. While we applaud Mr. Spencer's initiatives, observers say they fall short of the mark.
The biggest obstacle to reform, is these "measures" are being implemented by the same people who have failed us and led us to where we are today.
It not assuring that Spencer named former "Unity Team" partner, Pete Thomassen, as "assistant" nor the fact that most of Forde's enablers are still in positions of power and trustees to our benefit funds. This is a major source of mistrust and anger among the rank and file.
The illusion that Spencer has cleaned house is just that; an illusion.
Why did Spencer name Thomassen, assistant supervisor?
Why would Spencer do this?
Is union politics trumping what is in the best interest of the membership?
Unfortunately, these questions remain unanswered, since Spencer has refused to answer written questions, or provide a forum to answer questions directly.
Below are links to the full transcripts for the UBC Hearings on October 15,16, 2009 held at the Javits Center in New York City.
|October 15, 2009||Transcript pages 1 to 200|
|October 15, 2009||Transcript Pages 201 to 412|
|October 16, 2009||Transcript Pages 413 to 613|
|October 15, 2009||Supervisor, Frank Spencer with Exhibits|
|October 15, 2009||Terrence R Mooney, Certified Public Account with Exhibits|
|October 15, 2009||Phil Newkirk, Assistant to General President Douglas McCarron with Exhibits|
|October 15, 2009||John Musumeci, UBC member with Exhibits|
|March 11, 2010||Final Hearing Committee Report|