President Obama and his administration’s reaction to the deadly Sept. 11 attack in Benghazi — is lie, lie, lie and lie.
Myriad are the failures of the Obama administration, but none is more tragic, or more frightening, or more foreboding of catastrophe than the appalling mishandling of the Sept. 11 terrorist attack on the US Consulate in Benghazi.
Details continue to leak, but it’ll be hard to top the bombshell from Fox News at week’s end reporting that repeated urgent requests for military help during the attack were summarily denied — for hours.
In those hours, former Navy SEAL Tyrone Woods was killed after he chose to disobey an order to “stand down” — and rushed to aid his fellow Americans.
This is not explained by the “fog of war” excuse so lamely offered by Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton — or the “Monday-morning quarterbacking” whining of Defense Secretary Leon Panetta.
It’s well established that the Benghazi consulate had been denied adequate security in the days leading up to the attack. But the new report suggests an astonishing lack of competence, or maybe it was cowardice, as a US ambassador and his team were coming under a well-coordinated terrorist attack.
Jennifer Griffin, a veteran Fox News defense correspondent, reported Friday that there were two urgent requests — hours apart — for help during the attack.
Special-ops teams and air cover were readily available, and could’ve been on the scene in less than two hours. (The attack lasted for more than six hours.)
In fact, two surveillance drones were deployed — both capable of relaying real-time visuals of what was happening.
But urgent requests for help were rejected — even when Woods and two others radioed that they had a laser fixed on the terrorists who were firing mortars and called in their coordinates.
Woods and another former SEAL, Glen Doherty, were killed by a mortar shell about six hours after the initial assault began.
“My son . . . responded to the cries for help and voluntarily sacrificed his life to protect the lives of other Americans,” says his father, Charles Woods.
“This has nothing to do with politics,” he added. “This has to do with integrity and honor. My son showed moral courage.”
True enough, surprise attacks happen.
But the failure to respond — leaving an American diplomat and his security team to their fate — defies comprehension.
This, even as e-mails show the State Department and White House Situation Room knew within the first couple of hours that an al Qaeda affiliate was publicly claiming responsibility.
But how could that be?
Hadn’t al Qaeda been defanged by SEAL Team 6 when it took out Osama bin Laden — and didn’t the president have the victory laps to prove it?
Well, apparently not.
So Obama & Co. stuck with the untenable claim that the Benghazi strike wasn’t a terrorist attack at all, but a “spontaneous” mob assault prompted by that anti-Muslim video.
Indeed, says Woods, Clinton vowed to him at a White House meeting that “we’re going to have that person arrested and prosecuted that did the video.”
And don’t you just know, the “person . . . that did the video” is in jail, on a very dubious probation-violation charge. (So it seems the administration can follow through on some things when it chooses.)
Equally offensive was the bizarre remark at the same event by a “loud and boisterous” Vice President Joe Biden, who reportedly asked Woods, “Did your son always have balls the size of cue balls?”
This man is a heartbeat away?
Compare that crudity with Charles Woods’ outraged dignity: “I wish that the leadership in the White House had the same level of moral courage and heroism that my son displayed.”
He wants “the person or persons who made the decision to sacrifice my son’s life to stand up” — and accept responsibility.
Not going to happen.
Not in this administration.
Acknowledging what really happened in Benghazi would mean confessing to hubris, incompetence, amateurism and deceit.
These are, sadly, Obama hallmarks.
So, what does the president have to say for himself?
“Well, we are finding out exactly what happened,” Obama told a reporter Friday.
Forty-seven days late and four lives short, sad to say.
So add cluelessness to the bill of Obama particulars — which goes a long way toward explaining the clouds of acrid smoke hanging over the entire Middle East.
As does nature, statecraft abhors a vacuum. When one develops, adventurers and advantage-takers appear in short order.
Iran continues to build its bomb; Syria burns; Turkey awaits its fate, and Egypt is looking at a Muslim Brotherhood-enforced Sharia state.
Think of it as Benghazi writ large.
Time to evict the deceiving amateurs.
Source: NY Post
Sunday, October 28, 2012
Posted by John Musumeci at 8:07 AM